Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Once Upon a Time....

Ok.
Famili
Friends
other aquaintances
random people on the street who I don't know but somehow managed to get their hands on this:

hey, you never know right?

Important stuff: PLEASE make sure everyone knows to write written mail addressed to ELDER SHAE D MORGAN (there are 3 elder morgans here) and I just found out that a couple pieces of mail were sent to a wrong elder morgan, and I don't know when I'll be able to get them cause he's up by flagstaff or something. Soooo, thanks!
Questions:Answered:
no it wasn't REALLY J-lo. She was this really nice hispanic lady we tracted into and taught a lesson. She wasn't super interested, but hey, I tracted into J-lo.

Our apartment is slowly healing from the infestation. we're getting them gone.

ok. now about the work, then cool stories. Whew so much to do!!!
So this week was interesting and hard. Mostly because we had a lot of people fall through. We had 2 baptismal dates, then we found out that Miguel started drinking again, and said that he wouldn't give it up, but he'd call us when he's ready. :( We also had to drop the other person we had with a date for baptism, because he won't come to church, and told us he realized he's perfect and doesn't need to repent or be baptized. He won't listen or accept the scriptures that say we all must be baptized, so, he's just not ready. one day...one day...

On the flip side! we found some great people. We ran into an older guy named Gustavo. gustavo said he wasn't really interested, but his son (Gustavo Jr) only plays video games all day and might be interested. Gustavo the yonger now is reading and studying the book of mormon, and even the dad and mom are asking questions about prophets and why the book of mormon is so important. So we have great hope for them.

Francisca update: she said she'll prepare herself to be baptized, but doesn't want a date yet. We went over to her hosue with a member. Hermana Fonseca. GOLD! Hermana F is really in the same boat as Francisca and could easily relate to everything that's going on in her life, we left and Hermana F stayed to "chat"! Members are the best tools. To those at home who are members: Just talk with your neighbors. Go with the missionaries, maybe you'll make a new friend.

Tell Garrett I love him. I bet it's been a heck of a week for him at the MTC. He'll love it.

I've been thinking alot about English Elders. The more I think, the more I think of how lucky they are. They can use language and express feelings and emotions and experiences. From day 1. I'm pretty jealous of the extra time they get to share the gospel. It also makes me want to learn spanish better so I can just DO IT, but it doesn't come in a week of study. Takes time, and I don't think I'll ever get as proficint in spanish as I am in english. (even though I can't spell words like proficint...or whatever) Lots of people rag on those speakin english. I'd like to rag on those raggers. The English missionaries get a LOT more done than the spanish elders. At least here. from day one they can communicate more and be less focused on words and more in touch with the spirit. My wish is that everyone who reads this part of this letter realizes that a call to Omaha Nebraska english speaking is JUST as important as one to Hong Kong. Anyone reading this with a call already who's thinking "I'm going english stateside, or just stateside" when people ask you where you're going and you say "Mesa Arizona" and they go "been there, seen that" you say "Darn right, and there are just as many souls there needing to be led to the Gospel as any other place in the world." I guess I'm making a big deal about this because I got it a lot before I left to come here, and I just wanted people to see my mission how I saw it. And now I see REALLY that it doesn't matter. So maybe next call announced to Idaho, or New Jersey, go up to that elder and be excited! because we should be! The gospel is going to all the world. The US is part of that world. :) ok I'm done with that. now...about the language...

Spanish update: I'm speaking pretty well, for a new guy. At least that's what they tell me. I'm still skeptical. "Why?" you may ask. MAYBE it's the funky looks I get from people still when I say something I THINK is spanish, but DEFINITELY doesn't work, or make sense. The other day I tried to tell someone that I thought their pet bird was WAY cool, and evidently I insulted it. yeah, I don't know how that works. Also, I don't understand mexican humor. Mainly because I don't think it exists, but they sure think it does.

Ok. SWEET story time/info about Phoenix.
All the water here tastes like dirt unless it's purchased. Even at the church buildings.
I'm actually getting a little tan.
I saw my first scorpian today.
I killed my first scorpian today. (it was in our house)
There are these VILE little candy things that are sugary, and then mixed with the sweet are ground up chiles (peppers) so it's a spicy sugar...it's nasty, but they swear I'll get used to it.
there are lots of pigeons here. they are as stupid as the movies make them seem
there are something like 10 drive-thru liquor stores here. yeah, DRIVE-THRU + LIQUOR shouldn't work out. America makes no sense.

Story time:THIS MORNING THE CRAZIEST THING HAPPENED! We woke up at 4:30 (ugh) to go climb Camelback Mountain (yes we had permiso) so we went and on the way down, we were waiting for the rest of the elders when suddenly! BAM four fire trucks, ambulance, rescue vehicles, and a lifeflight helicopter. I KNOW RIGHT?! intense...so an elder got a little anxious on the way down the mountain and was jogging a little too fast down a steep incline...tripped, head injury, cut up everywhere and a gash in his side. He was conscious through it all and in fact his first question was "is my camera alright?" Some of the missionaries with him are EMT's so they took care of him best they could until they could get him out, but that was SO intense! I have pictures and video of the helicopter and everything.

Moral: Don't run faster than you have the strength for. :)
Moral 2: Just cause your a missionary, doesn't make you invincible.
Thanks mom for the story, it's a good one. Thanks everyone for your support. I love and care about you all mucho.
-Elder Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment