Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Phoenix - Week 1 Report

Soooooo,\

Phoenix is weird. There are TONS of just absolutely intense people. Dad always used to say that the sun will fry your brains, and I think I'm gaining testimony of that. Among all the insanity though are people who are wanting to learn, cheerful, happy, prepared people. Por ejemplo, Francisca Mendoza. She is a referral from someone else (we don't know who) and we showed up on her doorstep and she instantly welcomed us in and in 2 minutes had ice cold lemonade in front of us. Miracle? we think so. Then she said she was ready to learn more of whatever we were giving Sandra. Small problem. we have NO clue who Sandra is. haha! So after a bit more explanation, we determined that the english elders in the area had tracted into Sandra, and they were teaching her, when she suggested that her mom would want to learn more too, however her mom didn't speak Spanish. Guess what?! We do :) sooo they sent the referal our way and now we can teach Francisca. We whipped out a huge can of Spirit with the first lesson and it was great and she got it and was smiling and understanding and asked us to come back and teach more!! so we shall.

Story with a Moral:

Once upon a time these three elders were walking through Phoenix when all of the sudden they decided to go introduce the new guy to the Branch president. Good idea right? so we go there, and the next door vecinos (neighbors) are sitting outside. Turns out they're really intesrested in learning more...the neighbors...of the branch president...

ok. moral time. Talk with people. Sometimes the people that want to learn more are our next door neighbors, and they just don't know that you have what you have. If you're reading this and aren't Mormon, maybe you should talk wi th your neighbors or mormon friends...maybe you'll find out why they're just so happy, and you can learn for yourself how to gain a greater measure of joy in this life. Just a suggestion.

Mom, little shout out, I heard a ringtone today and it struck me as oddly familiar, then it hit me...TAP DANCE. yeah so I thought that was cute.

Questions answered: I have 2 companeros because they're looking to split our area since it's awesome and there's a ton of people, so they're making a trio so next transfer or 2 we'll have another set of spanish elders here.

No I don't forget I'm in the US. It's not that spanish everywhere, but it is pretty spanish. Here at the library, all the signs and notices are in english and spanish, but I'm definitely still in the US.

Sorry President, we have the North side of phoenix. Camelback road from 51 to 17 are the east/west boundries and it goes north about 3 blocks and south to Thomas road. Small little area. lots of spanish people. REALLY hot. Love it. Speaking of heat, we hit a new high for me! 116 degrees. mmmmm mmmm good. So yeah I sweat a lot but it's all good in the hood! I'm getting a bike today so I'm sure I'm gonna love all that goodness.

President Bassett is from around AZ, he is pretty young, their oldest is a daughter a year or so younger than me and they have a 5 year old or something too so he's been president at least 2 years, so he'll be switching halfway through mine. He's SO AWESOME though. He was supposed to be president of guatemala mission, but the prophet himself called him to change his mission call...neat huh. Proof that this mission is AWESOME. :)

My apartment? Let's just say I have some pictures I'll send home to explain that. :) Well for a little preview, every night when we come home we have a mini-matanza which means "killing". We grab our trusty swords (spoons) and turn on the lights and kill as many cucarachas as we can. we hit about....15? each night. so we're pretty well infested, we're getting some traps though so that should help. we're gonna beat those little buggers! Also the people above us and on either side smoke weed a LOT so it leaks into our apartment the smell. So we have air fresheners galore to help us out with that. I have a really nice shower though it's hot and really pressurized, something I haven't seen for 2 months at the MTC.

I'm used to the routine, it's hard work, and I'm really tired, but I'm really doing alright. It's worth it to see people smile and say sincerely "thanks for teaching me this, see you next time". People really just don't know...but they're going to!

Language update: Well it's better than last week? I'm still having a rough time understanding people, but I'm told I speak pretty well. So I'm able to express myself, problem is half the time I only half know what they are saying back. I can ask GREAT questions....I just don't really get the answer :) thank goodness for companions! They say there's about a 3 month breaking in period where misioneros learn to understand people. I'm praying it'll only take 2 more weeks. God can do it right? :)

The members here are great and I'm having REAL mexican spicy food!! it's way hot...but I'm learning to get used to it already...the hotter the better. I'm gonna head out, feel free to ask questions next week. I love answering them. Make sure people know to send letters to my mission address, they forward it to me at my apartment wherever I am.

I'm gonna write to president now. Love you all so much, thanks for your support and love and care.

-Elder Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment