Monday, August 31, 2009

White Elder + Arizona Sun = Red Elder
Red Elder + aloe vera gel = Happy Red Elder

It's true I've only been here 2 days. However, it's hot. Also, I'm REALLY white. therefore. I'm not accustomed to the heat here. President Bassett was really all funny about it, upon arriving here, he said "well since it's SUCH a cool day outside, lets go take pictures at the mission home. In the vehicle, I spotted the magic technology (doesn't exsist in the MTC) that tells people the temperature. yeah so "such a cool day" is secretive code for 110.5 degrees. that's right.

ok so I did my little rant. should go ahead and give a little review of my dealings this past little while.

I'm out of the MTC. I'm here in Arizona. Phoenix to be exact. The most Hispanic part of Phoenix in fact. :) Basically everyone here speaks spanish. Anyhow, so I finished up stuff at the MTC, and at 4 AM Tuesday morning I woke up so I could get ready and to a bus by 5 so that I could be at the airport for a flight that would last a whole whopping hour to Phoenix. Only to drive to mesa, have a long orientation, meeting my companion, or should I say COMPANIONS, and then we went back to phoenix to do the work! Speaking of Companions....I have some awesome ones. Elder Moffit and Elder Nicholas. Elder Moffit has been here 18 months now...basically he's superman of missionaries, knows EXACTLY what to say and how to say it. He's really nice, and helpful, and REALLY good at spanish which is a REALLY good thing. Elder Nicholas has been here 2 transfers, so he's our key to the area. He knows where everything is, who everyone is we're teaching and all about the ward. Also, he's a Navy Seal. probably one of the few people I've ever seen who could LITERALLY rip his shirt by flexing. This Elder is huge.

Ok. Sooo first day, (post meeting companions) We went to phoenix (yes in our car [unfortunately {I really wanted to be on bike}]) But anyhow, we went to the apartment, and oh yeah, forget about unpacking, just grab your scriptures, about 50 passalong cards, and we're GONE! soo what we did was we went to some less actives house, not home. Then we knocked doors! 1394 the number of the door I hit first. Basically everyone here is REALLY REALLY nice. ok so that's a lie, but most of the hispanic people are always up for a good 5 minute conversation if not more. We had a couple people interested, including the neighbors of the Branch President! After tracting a bit, I met the ward mission leader, who informed me he didn't speak English (even though he does) and that I'd just have to learn to listen better. haha

Speaking of the language...I'm SOOOOO bad. Back in MTC land I was top notch!! nothing could stop me! Now?....not so much. I'm usually too lost to try and respond, and when I finally realize something they said to me, I surprize myself and can't talk back effectively. That doesn't stop Elder Moffit though frequently passing me off in conversation with comments like "isn't that right Elder Morgan?" and "Elder Morgan has a GREAT experience about what I just taught" and other various lines to get me talking. I found a member here se llama Victor. He likes baseball. I know that word. So he told me all about the diamondbacks and the Cardinals and so that was good. Hector (the ward mission leader) is WAY fun and SO motivated. He's hosting a barbeque this friday for the preisthood to try and get them to invite friends. So that was most of my yesterday.

Tuesdays are my P-day, (preparation day) however, today we got privileges since I just arrived yesterday. Sooo thus I can write and shop and stuff. So now I have all the missionary essentials, bread, PB and J :) Some eggs and juice too. But they said the missionaries are taken care of here. Speaking of which. today we taught a lesson to the Alvarez family. Unknown to me, they are a member family. So I thought this was a REAL DEAL and that the eternal salvation of these people rested on my shoulders and my companions. Yeah...so I was SO excited when they told me the understanded EXACTLY why we needed the atonement and a restoration. I'm thinking "Golden" they were thinking "Greenie" haha :) So that was great. I know now that Brother Alvarez is second counselor in the branch presidency. Upon leaving their house, he said he had something special for us...he left and returned with three bananas. The simplicity, sincerity of his offer really hit me. These people here don't have a whole lot...but they have the Gospel and that's Enough.

It's enough for me too. I know that God lives. I know Jesus is His son. I know Jesus provided a way to overcome our sins, and all he asks of us is to follow him and keep his commandments. Love you all.

-Elder Morgan

Side notes for memory and scrapbook sake: Phoenix is known as "the city where people talk to trees" So, it may not be as nuts as russia, but after one day, I've seen some WEIRD things and talked to some interesting souls Mail: Keep mailing to the Mission address, they forward it to us. If mailing a package, mail to the mission home if USPS. Fedex and others have to be sent to our apartment. Everything is in spanish here! papers, signs, it's pretty neat.I've never seen so many people with such huge problems in their families and stuff. So much stuff going on all the time and problems. I know that God organized families because they WORK if we follow his commandments. also thanks for having hope. People down here, even after only one day, have told me there CAN'T be a God. There IS no plan. Boy are they wrong. and they need to know about it all the more. there's so much in store for us. if not in this life, then in the next. Well, I'm off to go teach. Hasta luego. Until next Tuesday. PS I have WAY more computer time here than the MtC (an hour) so you can send e-mails long again. I have plenty of time to read. LOVE YOU ALL! -Shae

No comments:

Post a Comment