Saturday, December 26, 2009

12/0102009 -- HAPPY HOLIDAY GOODNESS AND JOY AND CHRISTMAS MUSIC!

Thanksgiving with the Mexicans

Well....I'm not sure about other spanish/american missionaries, but thanksgiving is WAY lame here. Basically the mexicans in general don't celebrate it, but there are a few who do some food just as an excuse to get together and have a party. we were invited to 2 dinners. The first was a turkey and mostly chips and salsa with beans and rice and tortillas, classic mexican. the second was a seafood thanksgiving with shrimp and talapia soup and fish tacos. so yeah...I had an interesting day. in the morning we were allowed to play sports, so we played in the turkey bowl...for 3 hours. I was sore all week and am just now recovering. (SIDE NOTE: yeah...I ate the seafood stuff...I'm actually getting used to fish and shrimp isn't so bad anymore either)

Biking in Arizona is way lame. I am grateful for slime tires though. I've popped both my tires now and replaced with slime filled puncture filling tires...since then, I've even popped one of those...basically everything in Arizona that's on the ground is sharp and can pop tires. Soo, I'm doing the best I can to be careful. Also I had my first wreck this week when a truck pulled out in front of me, and I laid down my bike to avoid getting plastered. The bike is fine. I'm fine. It was intense :)

More stuff this week! It was Elder Lehman's birthday, he's now 21. so the mail was loaded this week with cards and boxes and stuff. it was pretty cool, because everything said "oh be sure to share some with the companion" so we've had a good filling of cake, cookies, and triple choco-brownie heaven. I just wish I could've been more creative and done something really cool for him, but on a mission you can only go so far.

Christmas needs/wants? my belt is getting pretty thrashed...I'm not sure how long it'll hold out. that's a need. I'm good on shirts, shoes, pants, maybe another pair of black pants, but you have one already you could mail. that's all. Madi A. is married congrats! Melanie too, tell her I better have a little kid running around calling me uncle Shae when I get home. :)

How are things going? great. We're working hard and praying a lot for experiences and opportunities to share the gospel. We're being blessed more than we deserve...We have 6 baptisms set up for the 12th and the 19th of december, and we thought that was it...then the Lord placed us in the way of a lady named Claudia. she's prayed and feels that this is the right path, and she asked us to teach her everything she needs to know to be baptized on the 26 the day after Christmas. What a present that will be to our Savior! We are working hard with Francisca, Carina and Delfino, Olga and her kids, and now Claudia to have our white christmas. As a mission, we are set to exceed our 400 baptisms for the two months, and it will be a white christmas indeed. Delfino threw out his coffee this week, Olga asked sundays off and got them, her kids know hand signals to remember the 10 commandments, we're just teaching like crazy.

Spiritual thought: Nephi. Moroni. They both saw the end result, being that their people would be destroyed. why'd they keep going? Why would they keep writing, preaching, prophesying, if they knew it'd be in vain? If they didn't...if nephi had stopped writing after seeing the future...we wouldn't have the plain precious truths that the book of mormon contains. We are blessed for enduring to the end, even if the end is ugly. I hope we have the courage to keep pressing on and fight to the end. that's my hope.

I gotta run and write president. Love you all, thanks for everything, I'm still kicking!

No comments:

Post a Comment