Saturday, December 26, 2009

12/08/09 -- It's beginning to look a lot like...it has looked the past 3 months.

Shining sun, a little rainstorm, and more sun. Can you imagine it's December? I can't. It's just a little nippy here but besides that...It might as well be Halloween coming up instead of Christmas. I'm sure Elder Austin's feeling about the same way, and Elder Garrett...well...have fun with all that snow.

Oh what to say? Firstly, I guess this. GO MOM! way to tackle the computers at work! Maybe by the time I get home, I won't have to show you how to change the font and size. :).

I have to say I LOVE being forwarded the e-mails from Elders Tuttle and Slezak. They make my P-Days and weeks amazing just knowing a few states away are two of my best friends and they're doing what I'm doing too. I think before we wished we all went away to far magical countries, but I want them to know I'm grateful for their service, and I like the feeling of knowing that not far away are my brothers in the Gospel, sharing this truth with the people of LA cali and Denver Colorado. And Elder Tuttle wasn't joking...every mexican and their chihuahua says "ah-pee tanks geeveeng." it's funny.

So this week I learned a lot about fasting. This is a way old principle that has gone back since forever. Fasting is not taking in food or drink for a certain period. It's giving up something that you (or your body) wants in order to rely more fully on the Lord and what He wants for you. It's a physical demonstration of your reliance on the Lord. It is a way to receive an answer to your prayers. It is a way to help lift others. It is awesome. Olga Dominguez and her children, Ioannis, Sheila (said Shae-Luh), and Brian are working toward being baptised. Olga has kinda given up smoking but not completely and she is addicted to coffee. We talked about the Word of Wisdom with them and how addictions and harmful things shouldn't be used in our body. In the pamphlet provided by the church, itm entions that to help overcome these things, we should pray and fast. She asked what that was and then asked if we could do one. This sunday we fasted with Olga. A true 24 hour fast. Even her kids did it as long as they could...She told us yesterday that she hasn't had any desire to drink coffee or smoke since. I know that it hasn't been long since the fast, but I have faith in the power of fasting now...I know she is changed and different because of that fast and that she and her kids will be able to meet the date they set for the 19th of December for their baptism. Thank goodness the Lord answers prayers. Alma the younger had seen an angel and had many wonderful experiences, but later in his life, talking to his children, he shared the secret of his conversion. He said that it wasn't the angel, wasn't the people he saw changed, wasn't the miracles, it was through 'much fasting and prayer'. Cool beans huh? Fasting and praying outplaced seeing an angel of the Lord in the list of things that led to conversion. The Lord will bless us as we pray and fast and ask Him. He wants to help us, we just have to be living in a way that allows Him to do so.

Ok. That was my killer thought for the week. Now more random facts about the mission. Biking in a rainstorm is interesting. My suit is still drying, and my shoes may never be the same. Thanks mom, for ordering that MissionaryMall rainsuit, it saved my life, suit, scriptures, etc. but yeah...I was pretty wet. Good thing that won't happen much here in AZ. :) My companion Elder Lehman came to a realization this week. For the past 6ish months he's been in denial...he hasn't gotten a letter from his girlfriend in all that time. A few days ago I think he finally realized what it meant...he was like "Elder...I don't have a girlfriend do I?" and I think he already knew the answer. So we've been coping wtih that via chocolate, hot cocoa, and russian tea. I'm also going to make some of my carmels for the holiday season. :)

I'm excited Spanish is still coming along. It's annoying, like elder tuttle said to me in a letter once, sometimes I feel like I'm a spanish master, sometimes I feel like I don't understand a single word (paraphrased). and that's how I feel. I'm having a rough spanish day today, but I'll be sure to get out of that ASAP to be able to teach effectively. Thanks for all your prayers and support! they are well felt and received. That just about sums up my week. Until Next Time....

-Elder Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment